Friday, December 3, 2010

NO SOLICITING!!

I seriously wonder what people are thinking... Or I guess the only way to put it is that they aren't thinking at all!!! The very first time we came to look at this house before we bought it the security door was FULL of ads and such for business. The house had a HUGE auction sign in the front yard that obviously meant that no one lived here. But I guess people thought they'd check anyway and leave their paraphernalia/junk mail on the front door to an unoccupied home. Then we buy the house... Two days after we get the keys we (victor and his mom((I was preggo and couldn't sniff paint)) were painting when the steak guy came. They told me the steak guy came and I assumed it was the stake guy from church.. NO It was a steak salesman guy trying to sell them steak.

A few weeks or months go by (who's counting) and we get some other church missionaries looking for someone with another name that speaks Spanish. Sorry that's obviously not me I'm white and I'm answering the door in English why do you have to ask me again if I'm sure she doesn't live here. Anyway, we have our share of interesting people and then I get this sweet teenage (looking) boy telling me he is home schooled and trying to sell magazines to win a contest with his home school group. He seems so nice and genuine until I buy a magazine subscription only to shut the door and immediately look it up on the computer to find out that it is a HUGE scam. I call and cancel the check that I wrote to him then vented to my husband who brings home shiny some shiny NO SOLICITING signs. 2 of them. We put them on the window walking up to the door and the security door itself. You can't miss them I assure you. Have they been a deterrent??? not exactly... I have seen a few people see it and walk away but there have been so many that blatantly ignore that little sign and ring or knock away. Usually during nap time. Thanks! 

During elections we got quite a few visitors. Most of which asking for the previous tenants. to which I reply they don't live here. To which they always said are you sure no one by the name of _______ lives here. Are you kidding you'd think I'd know if they lived here or not. Well there was this little old lady in particular who had obviously had a rough day,I answered the door and the first thing she said is "I know it says no soliciting but this is important" that was her first strike. she asked like the others if so and so lived here, we had the same little argument that they indeed did not. She went on to ask me if I was registered to vote and I wanted her off of my doorstep so I said no. She proceeded to ask me if I knew where some such and such building was on some road in las vegas. When i told her no she was horrified. Why on earth would I know this random building? well it's the place that you can register to vote if you haven't already done it. like I ever had a reason to go there before. I always just check the easy little box at the DMV that says would you like to register to vote. Anyway this lady was nasty and didn't care. she asked me how old I was and when i told her i was 25 she was then disgusted with the whole younger generation. Telling me that when I woke up and THIS PERSON(shoving an add in my face) is senator that I would look in the mirror and realize that it is my fault. I listened with a smile on my face and smiled as I shut the door on her face as she was still talking. GOODBYE. I"m sure I left a lot out cause the poor old lady talked for a good few minutes before I shut her out.

Then today, I don't know if it's because my house is on a corner that it is targeted or if they bother all of my neighbors but today I got a security salesman. It might have helped that he told me what he was doing before he waisted all of his time. It took 10 minutes before I even knew what he was talking about. He starts asking me how much traffic I get on my street. after i tell him he says that's great cause all we want to do is put a sign in your yard to get publicity. I'm thinking okay so you want to put a sign in my front yard. You gonna pay me? He made a bunch of small talk then started saying how he was going to give me free stuff and started filling out paperwork for all the stuff he was going to give me. I ask him what he is selling and what it would cost me. he say oh you'll get this all for free. UH HUH I've heard that before. He says oh there is a monthly fee that could be anywhere from $44-$80. Now we are talking tell me some more. What else are you going to try to get out of me? He starts asking all my information. I gave him my name, he asks for my birthday I told him I don't want to give any more information until I know exactly what he is trying to sell and until I talk with my husband. He asks me if I know Jean and Jesse. ???? what??? He lost me. He says Jean from up the street and Jesse from two streets over. He tells me that they bought it and that he thinks I should too.  You seriously think that I'm gonna buy just cause this Jean and Jessie did.  I finally get him out the door and immediately look it up on the computer. It looks like it might be an official company but my goodness don't push and sign people up before they even know what in the world you are trying to push onto them.

I'm obviously venting but my goodness why can't anyone just look at that shiny little sign and actually read it and turn back around. Is it that hard.

Now obviously none of this applies to any of you cause you are my friends and if you are trying to sell me something than I'd hope you'd at least explain it to me first.

4 comments:

Holly Hoffman Spears said...

Haha. Nice vent. Those people are annoying. That's why I installed a peep hole on our door and if I don't know the person, I don't open the door, plain and simple. Its my house and just cause you rang the doorbell does not mean I have to let you in. There are too many crazies out there. :)

Heidi said...

I wish I had a peep hole on my door. I just have a little side window with blinds the girls run to to look out of when someones at the door. Then I have to answer it. Hate it!

Savannah said...

we have a small peep hole but with the security door you can't always tell who it is. Then like Heidi the kids get all excited and loud and they KNOW someone is home. too bad for the next guy caude he will be blatently ignored.

Jealeta Spears said...

Make up little cards with "HERE'S YOUR SIGN" like the country comedian does when someone is stupid. Just point to the "No Soliciting" sign and give them the "HERE'S YOUR SIGN" and close the door.
I think I will try it myself.Good idea.