Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kindergarten :)

Cyrus is starting Kindergarten this year. As most mothers are I was nervous to send him to school. With the trouble our district is in and the crazy amounts of bullying in school etc we have decided not to. Yep, he is staying home! I CAN shelter him from the bad things and I fully intend to do that. We’ve been looking into alternative programs for the last year and I was going to put him in a new charter school here in Henderson until they decided it wouldn’t be in Henderson anymore. Driving 30 min one way twice a day didn’t sound fun with gas prices and 3 other kids to tag along too. We decided on K12 which is a public online school. He will have a teacher, a class, a curriculum, and me as his learning coach. I am so excited to be involved in his learning. I love knowing what he learns so I can implement it into our daily discussions. There’s no way he could go to school for endless hours and come home and be able to tell me everything he learned that day. I was really leery of doing a home school program at first because I was afraid I wouldn’t teach him enough or teach him the right things to be on track. With K12 they send me EVERYTHING. It tells me what to teach him each day and tests him to make sure he is on track. When he excels he can continue on and get ahead.

IMG_3888

We finally got all our supplies and have the school space all set up. The only thing we bought is the desk and we got that for $40 bucks on craigslist. I used the boxes the supplies came in and covered the front with black paper, I will be cutting out lettering to label them by subject.

IMG_3974IMG_3975

The books on the bookcase are divided by book ends but they are bricks from our front yard. I covered the front in paper too so it looked clean. The clothes pins on the wall can hold his projects until I put them away in his folders. The clipboard has become his Homework board, anything he gets to bored to finish or we get distracted in the middle of goes on his homework board and he has to finish it by the end of the day. Yesterday he had two papers on there and I asked him when he was going to finish them, he told me "tomorrow" I explained that tomorrow we would have all new lessons to do and he could either do them now or later when daddy was home and we were doing something fun. He sat down and finished them. On his magnet board we have his weekly plan and we cross of the lessons as he finishes it so we can have a visual to stay on track.

School doesn’t officially start until Monday but we are getting ahead so we can take a week or so off when the baby comes. So far he has done really well and Loves to do school.

  IMG_3976 IMG_3977

1 comment:

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

Your mom told me about your decision to homeschool this year--congrats! It looks like you are well on your way. Love the clothespin idea--we like that for drying artwork, too. Have fun!